- Leading carbon capture company Carbon Clean, opens US headquarters in Houston, underscoring the company’s growth ambitions in North America
- Carbon Clean is responding to a 64% leap in enquiries following the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act and expects the US to become its largest market
- Carbon Clean has set its sights on the US for a significant ramp up of both corporate presence and local supply chain development to deliver its growing project pipeline
Carbon Clean, a leading global carbon capture solutions business, has announced a significant expansion in North America to meet booming demand for its carbon capture technology. The company has opened its US headquarters in Houston, Texas and will double its US headcount to meet demand for CycloneCC, its fully modular technology, in what is expected to become its biggest market.
UK-headquartered Carbon Clean supplies cost-effective industrial carbon capture solutions for essential hard-to-abate industries such as cement, steel, refineries, and energy from waste. Its technology is operating in 49 sites around the world and has captured over 1.8m tonnes of CO2.
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) is driving enormous demand for industrial carbon capture and has already resulted in a dramatic spike in US enquiries for Carbon Clean – up by over 64% since the passage of the IRA in August 2022.
Carbon Clean has been active in the US for over four years and its largest partner is Houston-based Chevron New Energies, which led the company’s $150m Series C round in May last year. Carbon Clean’s new permanent presence in Houston, and medium-term plans to further invest in the US, demonstrates its strong commitment to this growing market.
Aniruddha Sharma, Chair and CEO of Carbon Clean, said:
“With the passing of the IRA, the US has become one of the best places in the world to develop industrial carbon capture projects. Carbon Clean has seen a huge uptick in interest from industrials across the US and our new Houston HQ will help us to meet this demand. We are already partnering with companies with major US operations, including Chevron and CEMEX.
“Carbon Clean is experiencing phenomenal growth globally, but we expect our expansion in North America to outpace all other regions. As a result, we intend to establish a very significant base in North America, which will include developing a local supply chain to ensure we are set to ramp up commercialisation.
“We will be announcing some incredibly exciting projects and partnerships in North America in the coming months, confirming the leading role these geographies will play in delivering industrial decarbonisation.”
A radical shift is underway in industrial carbon capture, driven by a new generation of standardised, fully modular, compact carbon capture units that will be prefabricated and mass produced – overcoming the cost and space concerns that have been barriers to deployment. Carbon Clean’s fully modular technology, CycloneCC, can reduce the cost of carbon capture by up to 50% and has a 50% smaller footprint compared to traditional carbon capture units.
Carbon Clean has recently announced its 50th commercial project supplying carbon capture equipment for Ørsted’s FlagshipONE facility – Europe’s largest green methanol project. The company is an innovation leader with 81 active patent assets across 14 patent families covering 32 countries, and has over a decade of experience in designing, building, and operating industrial carbon capture systems.
For media enquiries please contact:
Notes to editors
1. Carbon Clean hosted a drinks reception to celebrate the official opening of its US HQ on March 8. In addition to keynotes from Brad Crabtree, Assistant Secretary, Office of Fossil Energy and Carbon Management, US Department of Energy and Rt Hon Graham Stuart MP, UK Minister of State in the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero, the event also featured a panel discussion on the need to accelerate decarbonization strategies for hard-to-abate industries. A recording of the event will be available here: https://www.carbonclean.com/broadcast
2. The address for Carbon Clean’s US HQ is: The Ion, 4201 Main Street, Houston, Texas 77002.
About Carbon Clean
Carbon Clean is a global leader in carbon capture solutions for hard-to-abate industries such as cement, steel, refineries, energy from waste and biogas. The company’s patented technology significantly reduces the costs of carbon capture when compared to conventional solutions.
Carbon Clean has over a decade of experience in designing, building, and operating industrial carbon capture systems and its technology is operational in 49 sites around the world. The company is an innovation leader in the CCUS market, with 81 active patent assets across 14 patent families covering 32 countries, and has developed a fully modular technology, CycloneCC, that is vital for scaling industrial carbon capture deployment to achieve global net zero targets.
Headquartered in the UK and with offices in the US and India, the company has received funding and grant support from the British and US governments and has established partnerships with industry leaders including CEMEX and Veolia. It is also an investor in the Swedish eMethanol fuel company, Liquid Wind.
Carbon Clean is a BNEF Pioneer 2022 company, Global Cleantech 100 company (for the fourth time), WIRED Trailblazer company, and features in the inaugural PwC Net Zero Future50.
For further information: www.carbonclean.com