Selecting a carbon capture solution for refineries
Refineries face many challenges when dealing with the deployment of effective carbon capture. With limited physical space, remote locations, and safety concerns, among others.
Watch Tolu Olunloyo, Sales Application Engineer at Carbon Clean, explain these challenges and why CycloneCC is a great fit for refineries.
Why have refineries historically not been able to implement carbon capture?
Cost and space requirements have deterred many refineries from moving ahead with the deployment of carbon capture solutions. Refineries operate within traditionally narrow margins in compact facilities, often in remote areas, where every metre of space is optimised, safety is paramount and limited downtime is critical.
What are the requirements for an effective carbon capture solution for refineries?
Refineries face many challenges in the pursuit for effective carbon capture. The most significant ones are limited physical space, safety concerns and affordability. Carbon capture equipment must fit within a facilities existing physical footprint as oil and gas refineries are often tightly configured with limited space for new equipment. There are of course many others, such as: multiple point sources, remote locations, continuous operations and scalability.
- Limited physical space – carbon capture equipment must fit within a facilities existing physical footprint as oil and gas refineries are often tightly configured with limited space for new equipment.
- Safety concerns – refineries require carbon capture equipment that minimises on-site construction to reduce any risks and to ensure the safety of refinery crews.
- Affordability – refineries have not been highly profitable in recent years, cost-effectiveness is a key consideration for the deployment of any carbon capture solution.
- Multiple point sources – refineries have numerous carbon emission point sources and the exact sources may vary greatly from plant to plant. An effective solution must be able to account for the configuration at every unique site.
- Remote locations – refineries need a modularised solution, transportable for ease of installation and reliable operation.
- Continuous operations – implementing a carbon capture solution should not decrease the availability of the host plant through reducing its reliability or imposing additional downtimes for installation maintenance.
- Scalability – investment in decarbonisation solutions is likely to spread over time, so it is beneficial to select a carbon capture solution that can be scaled in line with a facilities emissions reduction strategy.
How does CycloneCC meet these requirements?
CycloneCC addresses the most significant challenges refineries face when implementing carbon capture technology. It is…
- Cost effective and reduces CapEx and OpEx by up to 50%
- Compact in size and it’s physical footprint is up to 50% smaller than conventional carbon capture units
- Modular & scalable – units can be added over time
- Simpler and safer – the pre-fabricated unit is delivered ready to install leading to minimal site disruption and faster permitting
Is my refinery a good fit for CycloneCC?
Emissions reduction targets by the world’s top oil and gas companies are on the rise, with major firms playing a key role as first movers.
Download our refineries eBook today and speak to a specialist to see if our innovative and modularised technology is a fit for you.
Learn more about our breakthrough carbon capture solution for refineries by downloading our latest eBook: